Mthethwa (born in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, 1960) received his BFA from the Michaelis School of Fine Art, University of Cape Town, a then “whites-only” university he entered under special ministerial consent. In 1989, he earned a Master’s degree in imaging arts while on a Fulbright Scholarship to the Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, New York. Mthethwa has exhibited widely in the United States, France, Germany, Italy, South Africa and Switzerland. His work has featured on major international group shows, including the 2005 Venice Biennale; Prospect.1 New Orleans, 2008; and Africa Remix: Contemporary Art of a Continent, which toured internationally.
View full CV
Mthethwa is represented internationally by Jack Shainman Gallery, New York.
ART13 London | 01 - 03 March
‘Dying Minutes’ on Global Groove 1973/2012, Eli & Edythe Broad Art Museum | 09 November 2012 - 03 March 2013
Implemented Environments | 05 December 2011 - 25 January 2012
Summer Show | 05 December 2011 - 25 January 2012
New Works | 18 May - 29 June 2011
Zwelethu Mthethwa | 23 April - 15 May 2010
Entre Nous / Between Ourselves / Phakathi Kwethu with Louis Jansen van Vuuren | 30 November 2007 - 15 January 2008
‘Zwelethu Mthethwa’, ArtForum Picks, January 2013
‘Power to the Poor’, Sunday Independent, 12 June 2011
‘Zwelethu Mthethwa’, Art in America, October 2011
‘Mthethwa takes Manhattan’, Wanted magazine, 10 October 2010
‘Zwelethu Mthethwa: Inner Views’, Art Review, September 2010
‘Inner Views’, Modern Painters, 05 August 2010
‘Breaking barriers in African photography’, The Daily Beast, 04 August 2010
‘On the inside’, The New Yorker, 02 August 2010
‘Doing Shots’, Village Voice, 28 July - 03 August 2010
‘Interview: Zwelethu Mthethwa’, www.larisaleclair.com, 20 July 2010
‘Homes with Heart’, NY Daily News, 23 July 2010
‘Intimate Interiors, Vividly Revealed’, The New York Times, 16 July 2010
‘Off the shelf: Zwelethu Mthethwa’, The New Yorker, 28 May 2010
‘Mthethwa’s balancing act’, Mail & Guardian online, 01 April 2010
- Zwelethu Mthethwa’s new solo exhibition opens at Jack Shainman Gallery, New York; 24 January - 24 February. Read more.
- Mthethwa is included on The Progress of Love, a collaboration between The Menil Collection, Houston; the Centre for Contemporary Art. Lagos; and the Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts, St Louis. The exhibition is on view at The Menil Collection until 17 March. Read more.
- The Rise and Fall of Apartheid: Photography and the Bureaucracy of Everyday Life, curated by Okwui Enwezor with Rory Bester, opens at the International Center of Photography in New York on 14 September and includes work by Zwelethu Mthethwa. Read more.
- Mthethwa has been awarded one of six ‘Art in Global Health’ residencies at the Africa centre for Health and Population Studies organised by the Welcome Collection. Read more.
- Two new books focusing on the photography of Zwelethu Mthethwa have been published. La Fabrica’s publication Zwelethu Mthethwa will be released for trade on 31 March 2012. Zwelethu Mthethwa: A contemporary Myth - South Africa is available through Revue Noire.
- The Deutsche Bank Collection has acquired several of Zwelethu Mthethwa’s images. The new wing of the impressive Frankfurt gallery building is being named after and dedicated to Mthethwa. Read more.
- Dying minutes, a video piece by Zwelethu Mthethwa and Matthew Hindley will show on the group show Global Groove 1973/2012 at the new Eli and Eydthe Broad museum designed by world renowned architect Zaha Hadid. Read more.
- The Scottish National Portrait Gallery has announced the acquisition of a recent work by Zwelethu Mthethwa. Read more.
- The Getty Trust has announced the acquisition of work by Zwelethu Mthethwa. Read more.
- Zwelethu Mthethwa has work on show along side Malick Sidibe at the Harvery B. Gantt Center, 13 January - 27 May. Read more.
- An exhibition consisting of Mthethwa’s Sugar Cane photographs curated by renowned curator Diego Cortez at the John Hope Franklin Center, Duke University, Durham, NC was on show until 9 April. Read more.
- Baltimore Museum of Art is working on a solo show of Zwelethu Mthethwa (curated by Kirsten Hileman) in conjunction with the high profile opening of their contemporary wing in 2012. Read more.
- Environment and Object: Recent African Art, a group exhibition at Middlebury College Museum of Art, featured works by Zwelethu Mthethwa. Read more.